Cyber security protection is no laughing matter for businesses today. As an industry that’s booming in the year 2019, cyber security protection is worth billions and billions; a figure vast and constantly changing to keep up with the evolving hacker landscape.
With an increase in the number of overall networks, systems, data servers, and cloud services comes a rise in the amount of potential for a cyber security issue. Additionally, trends have shown that the majority of companies have unprotected networks, poor security practices, and outdated security measures that leave them vulnerable to targeted attack.
Most companies that experience a breach are out of business within 6 months. Protection is more important than ever before and can mean the difference between a secure future and a chaotic end. We’ve compiled 15 of the most critical cyber security statistics that are relevant for today so you can get a better look at how your current security features are functioning.
- 43%of cyber attacks are aimed at small businesses (under $20 million). (Small Business Trends)
- More than 4,000 ransomware attacks occur every day. (FBI)
- By 2020, the number of passwords used by humans and machines worldwide is estimated to grow to 300 billion. (SC Media)
- There were over 3 million cryptojacking (the unauthorized use of someone else's computer to mine cryptocurrency) hits between January and May 2018. (Quick Heal)
- The total cost of a cyber attack is over $5 million, or $301 per employee. (Ponemon)
- 76% of businesses reported being a victim of a phishing attack in the last year. (Wombat Security)
- 75% of organizations infected with ransomware were running up-to-date endpoint protection. (Sophos)
- It takes most companies over six months, or around 197 days to detect a data breach. (ZD Net)
- In a survey of over 1,300 IT decision makers, 56% of organizations identified targeted phishing attacks as their biggest current cybersecurity threat. (CyberArk)
- Damage related to cybercrime is projected to hit $6 trillion annually by 2021. (CyberSecurity Ventures)
- 77% of compromised attacks in 2017 were fileless. (Ponemon)
- It is estimated there will be a ransomware attack on businesses every 14 seconds by the end of 2019, up from every 40 seconds in 2016. This does not include attacks on individuals, which occurs even more frequently than businesses. (Cybersecurity Ventures)
- The most expensive component of a cyber attack is information loss, which represents 43%of costs. (Accenture)
- 54%of companies sampled experienced an industrial control system security incident within the past twelve months—and 16% had experienced three or more. (Business Advantage)
- Including turnover of customers, increased customer acquisition activities, reputation losses and diminished goodwill, the cost of lost business globally was highest for U.S. companies at $4.13 million per company. (Ponemon)
As your company evolves in 2019 and into the future, it’s important to make sure that your cyber security efforts can support and enhance your growth. At Crimson IT, we are a trusted provider in managed cyber security services and consulting, offering complete network security services that keeps information safe from unauthorized access at multiple points. With an aggressive approach to understanding your IT systems and top-of-the-line tools that companies like Netflix and Google use, we make sure that your data is safeguarded at every turn.
Some of our specific cyber security services include:
- Penetration Testing
- Vulnerability Assessment
- Dark Web Monitoring
- Advanced Host Protection
- User Cyber Security Training
- Advanced Anti-Spam Protection
- Real-Time Event Tracking
- 24/7 NOC
Ready to learn more about our full-service information security services? Get in touch with our team today!